Top 5 Books (so far) of 2016


As we are now already 6 months into the year I thought it would be a good time to step back and share the books that I have really loved reading so far. Some of them may make into the end of year post but already I have had some fantastic reads. According to Goodreads I have read 27 so I am 45% into my challenge of 60 for this year.

In no particular order here at the 5 so far that have really grabbed my attention.




The Vegetarian by Han Kang


As soon as I saw this on the 2016 Man Booker International Prize Long list I had to have it immediately. I instantly thought it would win without even reading a page. It won the prize and probably the hearts of everybody who read it. Very strong contender for my book of the year


My full review can found here




Fen by Daisy Johnson

I literally inhaled this a soon as it arrived, read it in one sitting.

Fen is a wonderfully dark & surreal collection of short stories that casts a contemporary eye on folklore. Johnson is going to one to watch - preferably in a dark candlelit room

My full review can be found here





The Blade Artist by Irvine Welsh

This is a book that as soon as I realised what the subject was and who the featured main character was, the nostalgia bug bit and I could't wait to see where is started and which direction it was going to go thereafter. Has Begbie finally put the demons of his past behind him ? Does he still possess the behaviour traits he once did ?. So many questions are answered, alongside a journey of the past the future pops up like  a snooker ball in a sock and hits you right between the eyes.


My full review can be found here



The Four Books by Yan Llanke

Another Man Booker International Prize Long list nominee for 2016.

The Four Books is about The Great Leap Forward (1958-1961) and reflects on issues of literary production and political supervision following on from The Hundred Flowers Campaign (1956), which encouraged citizens to express criticisms of the regime and for this they were labeled rightists and sentenced to compulsory re-education.

Even though Lianke's works are increasingly influential at home & and abroad The Four Books itself remain largely inaccessible within his own country of China.


My full review can be found here






The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma

Again another Man Booker Prize book you would honestly think that I have a fondness for this award wouldn't you ?. :)

This was a book that I didn't actually choose, Mel picked this up for me whilst she was visiting me in Hospital. I had finished the books I had taken and really wasn't thrilled with the choices left on the ward's shelves.

The Fishermen follows the journey of four brothers in 90's Nigeria told from the point of view of the youngest sibling 9 year old Benjamin.

A great story with all of it's political, religious & economic contradictions, a wonderful piece of modern African literature.


My full review can found here





Hope you have enjoyed this brief recap.

Have you read or want to read any these ?

Thoughts, comments & recommendations always welcome

0 comments:

Post a Comment